McNair Scholars Program Application Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible to participate?
Where can I apply?
The 2020-2021 Cohort Application is now closed. Please check back next spring for the next application period.
Are the Letters of Recommendations also due on the Application Deadline?
No. Your recommendation writers will typically have a week after the deadline to submit their letter. All letters of recommendation are due by April 17.
Can I start, save and complete my application at a later time?
Yes. The application forms does include a save feature to finish at a later time. Once you press ‘save’, you will be given a link to use for a later time to come back to finish.
How long does it take to complete the application?
Once you have assembled all of the necessary materials and information, the application should take no longer than one hour to complete in one session.
What should I include in my Statement of Purpose?
Your Statement of Purpose should provide the evaluator with information about the following (approx. 500 words):
- Why you are considering going to graduate school, and what you would like to achieve there.
- How participation in the McNair Scholars Program will assist you in getting there.
- What research interests you have, and which faculty on this campus you would be interested in working with.
- Other relevant information
You are encouraged to have multiple readers provide you with feedback on your statement prior to submission.
Whom should I ask to write my letters of recommendation?
Your letter writers should be able to speak to your academic accomplishments, work ethic, and potential for success in McNair and in graduate school. Faculty, Instructors, professional staff, and others who have served in a supervisory capacity for you may be individuals you ask to write a letter on your behalf. Letters from family members, roommates, or peers will not be considered.
Is there an interview process for the program?
Yes, select applicants will participate in an interview process which will include individual and group interview activities. These interviews are likely to be held over Zoom. The full application process is as follows:
- Phase 1: February 3 – April 6 Applications
- Submission of online application packet – Deadline extended till April 6, 2020
- Phase 2: May 11 – May 22 Interviews
- Round 1: May 11- May 22 Individual Interviews
- Round 2: Select applicants will be invited for a Group Interview to take place within two weeks
- Phase 3: Within two weeks Notification of acceptance or denial