Am I eligible to participate?
When and Where can I apply?
The 2021-2022 Cohort Application is now open! Deadline for applications: May 1, 11:59 pm Pacific Time. Apply here.
Are the Letters of Recommendations also due by the Application Deadline, May 1st, 2021?
No. Letters of Recommendation are due by May 15th, 2021, 11:59 pm.
Can I start, save and complete my application at a later time?
No. The application form does not have a ‘save’ feature, so you must fully complete the application form in one session and submit it. We highly recommend that you complete all of your required responses in a separate saved word document and then copy/paste the text into the application form.
How long does it take to complete the application form?
Once you have assembled all of the necessary materials and information, the application form should take no longer than one hour to complete. Please take your time and complete the application to the best of your ability.
What should I include in my Statement of Purpose?
Your Statement of Purpose should provide the evaluators with information about the following (approximately 500 words):
- Why are you considering going to graduate school, and what would you like to achieve there?
- How will participation in the McNair Scholars Program assist you in getting there?
- What research interests do you have, and which faculty would you be interested in working with on your McNair Research Project?
- Other relevant information you think will add to the richness of your application.
You are encouraged to have multiple readers provide you with feedback on your statement before submission.
Whom should I ask to write my Letters of Recommendation?
Your letter writers should be able to speak to your academic accomplishments, work ethic, and potential for success in McNair and graduate school. Faculty, Instructors, professional staff, and others who have served in a supervisory capacity for you may be individuals you ask to write a letter on your behalf. Letters from family members, roommates, or peers will not be considered.
Is there an interview process for the program?
Yes. Select applicants will participate in an interview process which will include individual and group interview activities. These interviews will be held over Zoom. The full application process is as follows:
- Phase 1: Applications – May 2021
- Submission and review of online applications
- Phase 2: Interviews – June 2021
- Round 1: Individual Interviews
- Round 2: Select applicants will be invited to participate in a Group Interview
- Phase 3: Notification of acceptance or denial – July 2021